Monday, April 29, 2013

Is it Worth it?

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Hebrews 12:1)

I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Seamus had the privilege of being involved in a mission project with our youth group, called the 30-hour Famine. He came home hungry and tired... and a little cranky... shh, don't tell him I said that ;-) but I know his soul felt refreshed! I spent some great time with my 3 little friends, just relaxing and doing some fun things together.

This next weekend is a big one for us! Saturday morning is our Adoption Doughnut Day and that afternoon is our final home study meeting. If you haven't ordered doughnuts and would like to, just shoot me an email (lauraloman@yahoo.com). I ordered a little extra so I can put your name on some of those if you let me know.

Y'all. We are in the thick of things right now. We have a list of items to complete before the home study report is finalized. Some of the items we are working on include autobiographies, medical screenings, background checks, reading of articles and books, reference letters, marriage surveys, and other questionnaires to further prepare us for adoption.

We are also required to earn 12 hours of online coursework pertaining to international adoption. Some of the topics covered in this education are legal information, effects of institutionalization, inter-racial awareness, and special needs information. It's clear that they want to make sure we are aware of every possible negative outcome. Much of the education is revealing and horrifying, but certainly necessary. I would imagine it's at this point that many couples have a change of heart. It's actually driving my desire to adopt even deeper!

Once all items and education certificates are together and our social worker has completed her report, everything will be sent to Immigration for their approval of us to be adoptive parents. This immigration process takes approximately 2-3 months. I believe at this point, there will be more waiting than scrambling. I suppose that will be a different kind of hard.

The paperwork and logistics of the adoption process can be discouraging at times. It's easy to get caught up in the business (because it's necessary) and forget the purpose of all this. We are also faced with skepticism and doubts from some. It's easy to begin questioning our motives when we are faced with this but God constantly reminds us of who HE is.

Is it worth it? Are the mounds of paperwork, the fear, the skeptical questions... Is it all worth it? We don't have all the answers and we are certainly not perfect people or parents. But our goal is to serve Christ and we are confident in HIS ability to do all things. So, when I ask myself, "Is it worth it?", I contemplate and the resounding answer is... YES, of course it is! Jesus Christ, who suffered and died on a cross in order to adopt me, thought I was worth it.

I am having coffee today with a precious friend who is also in the process of adopting. I look forward to encouraging one another and just being in her company. I need friends like this. I need time to sit and talk and hug and pray. It's food for the soul! It's times like this, over coffee with a friend, when the beauty of adoption so far outweighs the drudgery and our sinful fear. Seamus and I are so thankful for each of you who have encouraged us and reminded us of God's glory in this! It's the encouragement and prayers that get us through the rough patches. Thank you for your love and support that overwhelmingly outweigh the difficulties!

I'll be sure to post an update Saturday night, following our big day. Can't wait to share my heart with you again! Mwaa!

"We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Romans 5:3-4)

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Hebrews 12:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment